Device42 focuses on complete and accurate discovery, identifying all the details about what you have running in your environment today, and clearly highlighting the interdependencies. In contrast, RISC Networks provides tools centered around workload migration, and RISC’s tools focus on helping to compare the costs of migrating identified workloads (e.g. discovered VMs and/or applications) to competing cloud providers.
Unlike RISC, Device42 is a comprehensive CMDB solution. Offering more than just the ability to discover your infrastructure, Device42 is your one-stop single source of truth because it includes a fully integrated suite of enterprise CMDB features: A DCIM, IPAM, Password Management, Certificate Management, Inventory and Lifecycle Management, Automatic Rack Diagrams, Cable Management, Drag-and-drop Room Layouts, Advanced Visualizations, Powerful, Customizable Reporting, and an advanced, well documented RESTful API. Device42 provides far more value than any single solution "point product" ever could.
Device42 can quickly and thoroughly discover your entire network using a variety of auto-discovery methods, automatically correlating the information:
- SNMP Discovery (v1/v2c/v3):
- Network switches, routers and firewalls
- Load balancers (such as BIG-IP F5 & Cisco NetScaler)
- Blade systems to get chassis/blade system information
- Discovery and monitoring of power devices like PDUs, UPS, CRAC, etc.
- Console switches, fiber switches, SAN switches, etc.
- WMI based discovery for Windows based machines (and servers)
- SSH based discovery for different UNIX and Linux flavors.
- Hypervisor and VMs discovery with support for all major virtualization platforms
- Cloud discovery support for Amazon, Azure, Joyent, Linode, Digital Ocean etc.
- Cisco UCS
- DNS sync and ping sweep for network discovery
- Pull inventory data from tools like Puppet, Chef, Microsoft SCCM, monitoring systems
- IPMI discovery for BMC boards
Fast and Easy Integration
Device42 includes a very granular and secure set of RESTful APIs for integration with other applications used to manage your IT infrastructure.
Some out-of-the-box integrations include:
- See all CIs from Device42 in ServiceNow
- View or Edit CI details from ServiceNow requests
- Choose Device42 CIs when creating new requests
- Device42 utilizes system information data stored in puppet manifests to populate asset inventory
- Eliminating the need to run redundant auto-discovery processes across the IT infrastructure
- Streamline the task of provisioning, configuring, and maintaining servers
- Device42 utilizes Chef-discovered system information data to populate asset inventory
- Integration connector works with all Chef-supported versions of Chef software
- Link CMDB items to issues in JIRA
- View CI details from JIRA issues
- Search JIRA issues by CI names
- Display racks and devices inside JIRA when adding/creating/modifying issues
And many more are under development...