When it’s time to boost server capacity and figure out where to place one new server or a hundred, Device42 is right there with the ITIL capacity planning tools you need. Device42 means capacity management made easy with advanced “What-if” scenarios that can find you the space, power, and info you need to right-size your deployment. Locating un- and under-utilized servers is a breeze, and forget the stress of managing outdated IPAM spreadsheets, for good!
Challenge: Answering the Important Capacity Planning Questions:
- Where do I have rack space and power to put new equipment?
- Are there power spikes in my colo cage that put us over our power limit?
- What size cloud instance should I select for this workload?
- How much CPU, memory, disk, and network are my workloads currently using?
- Do I have any zombie servers?
- Do I have in service IP addresses that aren’t being used?
- Where do I have space and power for 200 more machines?
- Is a /24 subnet ideal to assign to an internal department to minimize fragmentation, and if so, which /24?
Solution: Device42 Helps You Create Capacity Plans, Right-size Your Workloads and Cloud Instances
When it’s time to figure out where to place one new server or a hundred, Device42 is right there with advanced “What-if” scenarios that can find you the space and power resources you need, and can even tell you if you’ll come up short and by how much! Locating un- and under-utilized servers is a breeze, and forget hunting for that outdated IPAM spreadsheet when trying to figure out what IPs are in use. Device42’s robust filtering and search makes IP management easy and fast. To right-size your cloud instances, you need accurate CPU, memory, disk, and network utilization information, which includes utilization data for all interdependencies that will be moving with the workload. Device42 helps you with cloud capacity planning by so you can right-size your cloud deployments by both showing you resource utilization for each instance, and by automatically identifying all interdependencies that are associated with a given workload.
Many Cloud Management Tools Focus Only on CPU Utilization and Trending Data. Device42 Combines Resource Utilization with Application Dependency and Service to Service Mappings for a Complete Picture:
Utilization, by itself, can’t tell the whole story. Why?
- You generally size capacity for peak times while normal utilization is low
- You might have an application with constant high utilization that has no users
- You might have a valid app that is business critical, but has low resource utilization
Only by combining Device42’s automated service to server or service to service mapping with Device42’s utilization and trends metrics can you find out exactly which servers have the applications that are truly being utilized on your network, while at the same time easily identifying those that are just eating resources.